|7 Charlotte Square, Edinburgh New Town EH2 4DR|
|The Georgian House Website|
|Follow N_T_S on Twitter|
The north side of Charlotte Square is Robert Adam's masterpiece of urban architecture. The Georgian House, with its elegant furnished interior, is located at No. 7 Charlotte Square.
The Square was conceived by Robert Adam as a paradigm of the Georgian ideal in the centre of Edinburgh.
A heady vision of sweeping crescents, broad boulevards and elegant squares, the New Town of Edinburgh offered wealthy citizens in the late 18th century a means of escape from the overcrowded tenements of the Old Town.
The Georgian House was built in 1796 for John Lamont, 18th Chief of the Clan Lamont, and he lived here with his family until 1815.
The house has been magnificently restored to show a typical Edinburgh New Town House of the late 18th to early 19th century. The fine collection of period furniture, porcelain, silver and glass reflects the lifestyle and social and economic conditions of the time.
The Georgian House was restored in the early 1970s and over the past few years there has been an ongoing programme of redecoration to bring it back to its pristine 1975 condition.
Looking to reach new customers? We offer a variety of advertising options with prices starting from just £30 per month!