Celebrate Fairtrade Fortnight and stand in solidarity with the women behind our chocolate by joining us at this very special (free!) panel event featuring:
• Adjoa Andoh, actress, director and patron of the Fairtrade Foundation.
• Jackie Kay CBE, poet, novelist, Scots Makar.
• Twimukye Macline Mushaka, Senior Fieldwork Development Officer, the Poverty Alliance.
• Amy Oroko, Sustainability Manager, Matthew Algie Coffee.
• Lesley Orr, historian and theologian at the University of Edinburgh, activist for gender and social justice.
• Leocadie Voho, cocoa producer, CAPEDIG Fairtrade cocoa cooperative (Côte d’Ivoire).
After the talks, there will be a chance for you to meet the panellists and find out more about Fairtrade and the Edinburgh Fairtrade City group over chocolate refreshments and Fairtrade tea/coffee.
This event is part of the Fairtrade Fortnight “She Deserves” campaign that aims to highlight the stories of the women farmers behind the £4 billion UK chocolate industry who are, against the odds, becoming role models and successful businesswomen in their local communities in West Africa.
Our guest speaker from Côte d’Ivoire, Leocadie Voho, will tell us about her journey to becoming a leader in her community and the difference that Fairtrade has made.
Leocadie’s talk will be set against a broader discussion on gender equality across all sectors of society, with our inspirational panellists discussing the importance of ensuring women’s stories are told, their voices heard and their experiences understood.
The panel will be chaired by Rachel Farey (Business Manager at the One World Shop and Vice-Chair of the Scottish Fair Trade Forum) and formally opened by the Lord Provost of Edinburgh.
All very welcome. Please share and spread the word!
While we take every opportunity to ensure the details for She Deserves Fairtrade: The story of chocolate are accurate, we always advise that you contact the event organiser before setting out for the event to avoid disapointment. All information (whether in text or photographs) is given in good faith but should not be relied upon as being a statement of representation or fact.
Looking to reach new customers? We offer a variety of advertising options with prices starting from just £30 per month!