Tickets are now on sale for the biggest celebration of Scotland’s rich textile craft heritage and talent. The Spring Knitting & Stitching Show returns to Edinburgh from 27th-30th April.
Launched last year, the event attracted thousands of visitors from Scotland’s textile art, craft and design community. This year’s show features:
• Professionally-curated exhibitions and gallery tours by internationally renowned artists and groups, including The 62 Group, Quinary, Wemyss School of Needlework, Effie Galletly, Edinburgh Modern Quilt Guild, Rachel Howard, Helen McAllister and The Quilters’ Guild.
• Over 170 textile craft and dressmaking workshops and drop-in sessions by expert tutors, from complete beginner to expert level.
• Free demonstrations by leading lights of the knitting and stitching world.
• An unbeatable shopping experience for anyone with an interest in textile crafts, with hundreds of specialist suppliers selling everything you need to start a new textile hobby or project.
• Accomplished artists and craftspeople at work.
• The Butterfly Garden - a spectacular fundraising collection of hundreds of knitted and crocheted flowers, trees, butterflies, bugs and mini beasts, in aid of the Louise Hamilton Trust Hospice Appeal.
Scotland has a thriving textile scene but, according to leading figures from the textile world, children need more opportunities to explore creative subjects if the UK is to retain its world-leading reputation for creativity. Top artists, designers and craftspeople appearing at The Spring Knitting & Stitching Show have joined forces to launch the Campaign for Creativity in Education.
Anthea Godfrey, Artistic Director of The Embroiderers' Guild, said: “The rigid nature of the curriculum provides little opportunity or time for children to express themselves creatively, artistically or professionally. Creativity is vital to child development, not only as a means of expression and communication but to support life skills such as problem-solving, strategic thinking and resilience. Creative thinkers hold the key to the UK’s future success, not just in culture and the arts but across business and industry too. To enable creative students to have opportunities to select, embrace and qualify in creative subjects incrementally in the same pathway development as scientists, lawyers, doctors and others is vital in their long term development.”
“It is suggested that creative subjects will be offered in after-school classes but this will inevitably relegate them to the level of 'hobby' and 'pastime'. Consequently, they will be very low down the list when parents and students make their exam selections, which will eventually signal their death-knell. We must do all we can to ensure creative subjects are not sidelined in the education system.”
If you feel passionately about the importance of creativity, then lend the campaign your support by taking part in some craft activism. Simply stitch your name or signature and bring it along to The Spring Knitting & Stitching Show in Edinburgh where it will be added to a giant embroidered petition. This will be presented to Education Secretary Justine Greening at the end of the year.
The show’s stars are also backing a campaign to encourage more adults to explore their creative side to improve health and well-being. According to mental health charity Mind, one in four people experience a mental health problem each year such as depression or anxiety . The pursuit of purposeful, meaningful creative activities has been proven to have therapeutic benefits . The show has some great ‘crafting as therapy’ features including mass participation workshops, creativity trail and relaxing knitted Butterfly Garden.
Ticket Prices (in advance)
VIP 1-Day: £26.00
VIP 2-Day: £40.00
Two Day: £23.00
Mini Group (4 tickets): £42.00
Prices on the Door 2016
While we take every opportunity to ensure the details for The Knitting and Stitching Show are accurate, we always advise that you contact the event organiser before setting out for the event to avoid disapointment.
Looking to reach new customers? We offer a variety of advertising options with prices starting from just £30 per month!